Monday, October 15, 2007

We are off

After years of saying we must go on holidays...anywhere, we have bitten the bullet (and hit the credit card!) and have booked flights overseas. We were looking at a safari (great time of year to go) but would have cost several small fortunes for the flights alone - one to look at when we are rid of a couple of kids I think. Then new Zealand was our next option but Geoff had been and the kids weren't that keen. So Asia called. We fly into Bangkok mid December, head across to Vietnam for a week or so then into Cambodia for another week. We then fly out Jan. 5 from Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) back home.
At the moment I am in the middle of an organisational flap (passports, tickets etc) and I have to get a full birth certificate. how I got through 40 years without one I don't know.
After I did an initial budget (love the internet) am starting to curse airlines and flight centre as advertised prices and reality are poles apart. Taxes and airport fees are carefully hidden until checkout time and will add a not insignificant amount to the end cost. Luckily accommodation and food seem to be ridiculously cheap over there and we can use rail and boats for some trips.
I think I will start to get excited when all transport has been booked and I can relax then. Until then I reserve the right to be a bit uptight.

No comments: