Thursday, October 15, 2009

Last night

Geoff and I went to see Elvis Costello (birthday/fathers day present). He is an amazing performer, when they said solo, that is exactly what it was. he played for about an hour and a half by himself and one of his many guitars - no backing band, singers, anyone (except for the sound guys). It took him a while to warm up, the first few songs were a bit rusty but when he started on new variations of his better known songs, it was great. Being by himself also gave him more opportunity to talk to the crowd a bit more - and I think he likes a chat. My favourite for the night could have been 'she' (best known, I guess for being in Notting Hill), very beautiful.

I was a bit sad at the end of it all because I had a sudden realisation (and this is one of those 'oh my god. I am getting old' moments) that all the concerts we go to now are in theatres. No more do we fight crowds in student unions, or jostle for best position in a pub (or memorably in a scout hall where we saw Violent Femmes in Brisbane). Nope all fixed seating from now on. Although having said that, the first concert I went to as a very young 17yo, was in a movie theatre in Albury to see INXS in 1985. Possibly still the best concert I have seen - maybe that's just through rose coloured time warp glasses.


Oh well, at least we are actually getting out and about again, even if it is in old fogey mode...

No comments: