Friday, September 24, 2010

A day of mixed feelings


Today is Matt's last official day of High School. Last night we had the Year 12 Valedictory Dinner, a marathon effort that I am sure is only there to make sure parents and boys are sick o the sight of the school so we aren't so sad today. Yep a marathon 6 hour effort!! First 3 hours was ok - we had chapel, where the chaplain spoke so well about the journey the boys were about to begin (more of this later..) .

We were fed and one of the many ambassadors that hang around Canberrra spoke of her life experiences. To be fair she spoke well and her son is in Matt's house and Meaghan plays soccer with her daughter so maybe I was just used to her being around.

More speeches from the acting head and from a couple of the boys, all good.

And then the presentation ceremony began. 140+ boys all had to be presented with a bound book with their achievements and any awards that were honoured as well. Matt was second last (2 hours later...). A couple on the table next to us happily slept through the whole event...

And that was the last we saw of Matt as he went off with a friend to prepare for muck up day today. Which was good as we would have had to get up at 6am to take him to a breakfast this morning , I know laziness before parental duty but I am happy to hand some things off to other parents...

Tonight the new phase of worrying begins as he ventures off on a scavenger hunt with P platers, an allnighter. sigh. But I suspect that whatever Matt gets up to won't be anywhere near what we did in a country town Year 12 farewell...

Anyway, back to father Nickolai's sermon, he ended it with a poem, some classic you would think. But no he chose good old Dr Seuss, from the book, 'Oh! The Places You will go!! How cool is that!!

This is a book that should have been handed out to the year 12 with their CV's I think.. It talks of doing whatever you want but that troubles will strike along the way and you will get through them. I have just taken some of the stanzas that were highlighted during the sermon.





And I have been wanting to enter in a challenge at My Favourite things for a while now (Julie is so enthusiastic about everything, just love that!!) and this poem is now a firm fav.


We are very proud parents at the moments.xx

7 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

*sigh* that is soooooooooooooooooo touching!!! I will be right there with you in four short years since DS is in 8th grade this year!! *sigh* how is it we blink and its all over..... just like that???!!!!??? And HOW COOL is it that he read that poem!! I think I loveeeeeeeeeeee that man!!! I love love love love love love love the lo you made for his venture into the 'big' world!! WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee that photo, the tearing... and LOVING that you printed the photo on here... wowwwwwwwwwwwww! You amaze me soooooooooooooo MUCH!! Thanks soooooooooooooooooo much for playing along with FAVE THINGS...and thanks sooooo much for your kind words!! I sooooooooooooooo appreciate it! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Mia said...

Great photo! V. funny about couple sleeping and V. cool regarding Dr Suess book -It's hard to trump that man.
Hope to see you this week xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Francine said...

Oh my goodness - six hours - really?!! Don't you wish now that you had married someone who's name started with A? But I guess you probably couldn't sneak out early anyway. I wish Matt all the best on his new adventures, and hopefully you won't have to worry about him and those P plate drivers, etc too much. I worry about K when she can learn to drive in just over a year as she keeps reminding me! Anyway, great layout you made with a lovley photo of Matt. Well done.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! Love that poem! Beautiful for your son and his new ventures!!Love the teared paper and the colors! Great photo too!
Thank you so much for playing along with us at Fave Things!

EverydayMe said...

love love love this... DS is a favorite... you chose the perfect poem for the photo... makes me want to cry... Mine is in first... but those years will fly by and I will be right where you are.... and the places she'll go... delightful layout... thank you for playing along with fav things!!

Hanneke said...

Love this, so touching!! Beautiful!!
Thnaks for playing with us at Fave Things!!

Deana said...

Such a perfect poem for that photo! Beautiful page & memory...

Thanks for joining us!