Friday, July 20, 2012

Literary ramblings

Quick Friday evening LO. And another sketch, there are a lot floating around the challenge world at the moment, my very fav type of challenge - although my end is usually a bit different from the original - but that's part of the fun.

Here's the sketch from Scrap Africa (in honour of my friend Lizzy being named as a guest DT there - even if she doesn't like Spandau Ballet - humph!!-)

and here is my version - and yes, you are not mistaken it is another paper LO. yay. And it looks like the sketch if you squint... This took a while but I actually enjoyed the process. Paint, stamps, inks and not much paper really.


This is Meaghan looking the part on her yr 10 camp - love the eye camouflage...

Confession time  - of the literary kind.

I will read just about anything, from biographies through to chic lit. I had heard about the Shades of Grey series but hadn't bothered to find out what it was actually about. I grabbed a cheap copy and thought the main characters big secret was probably supernatural - aren't all popular books about that now?? OK, my eyes just about popped out when I got down to reading it. And I did manage to finish it pretty quickly I have to say...

And went and bought the next one...

And quickly passed it on to a close friend.

But to be honest they aren't that well written and I haven't rushed out to buy the third, IT was getting a touch unbelievable, a touch boring and more than a touch repetitive by the end. One day I will finish them off but not now.

I had to read some serious stuff to balance them or my brain would have imploded so I have since read 'We need to talk about Kevin' which I loved and "The Road" which was hard work and reminded me alot of 1980's literature. Not bad but hard to recommend.

And have just finished reading 'A Discovery of Witches" - more Vampires, witches and daemons but at least it is well written and a great story - sort of derivative of The Historian also a cracking read, and I would completely recommend both of them.

Have just started 'The Eyre Affair" by Jasper FForde, should be fun.

Did I mention I love reading??


And that my housework and crafting come a far second if there is good book around...


Ok enough from me, xxx

5 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I finished 50 shades a couple of weekends ago and loved them... I actually liked the 3rd book the best! I loveeeeeeeeeeeee your lo!! LOVING the paint!

wendipooh13 said...

totally LOVIN all the fun paint here!! gorgeous page and super fun!!! I've been wanting to start the books. I don't have much time to read, but if a book reads fast, I can do that..

Lizzy Hill said...

I had this clever, witty and L-O-N-G response already in this box....& blogger obviously didn't approve & had a dummy spit & wouldn't load it. Suffice to say:
1. You made me LOL. long & hard. Thank you, I needed that after my long & hard working week.
2. Spandex ballet. Hmpf! Washi? YUM!. Your LO here? Double YUM. Especially the banner - ish & the Gesso!
3. Literary pursuits? Zero. Marking the UNSW literacy comps has cured me of reading. For a while.
4. 'Those' books? Cured of reading them b4 even starting by listening to Kathy Lette's tirade at the Sydney Literary Festival in May. Shoe put me off 'em good & proper. And she's VERY funny, too. Just like you, Karen.
Full circle completed. Obviously I'm missing writing [hence overly long & probably confusing post!]. Have a good weekend, ma friend:):):):)

Elizna said...

Thank you for taking part in the Scrap Africa Sketch challenge :-D

Patricia said...

Glad you found some time between the reading to create this stunning LO! Love the work on your back ground!!! Thanks for joining us at Scrap Africa!